Not all worksites are created equal. While many of the machines we offer here at LiftOne are meant for outdoor work, forklifts in particular are often utilized indoors as well. This includes, but is not limited to, factories, warehouses, and other jobs that deal with major indoor storage and shelving systems. These are jobs that involve not only hundreds of other pieces of equipment, but also other people as well. Because of this, there are certain types of forklifts, like electric forklifts from Hyster or Yale that will serve you far better in an indoor working environment.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Even in our more-modern-than-ever era of tools and machinery, most job sites are loaded with gas-powered equipment. Everything from pressure washers, welders, generators, and of course, many forklifts, are powered by gasoline, diesel, or propane. What does that mean for you other than an unnecessarily loud engine in a confined space? It means the area around those machines, and where you work, is being slowly flooded with carbon monoxide (CO). No matter the engine size, the time working in the area, the ventilation at your location, symptoms of CO poisoning are extremely common, especially when diesel powered forklifts are nearby. Typical symptoms include severe headache, dizziness, paranoia, and prolonged exposure can result in death. Any indoor operation of gas-powered forklifts is risky, but there are ways around it.
The best way to avoid CO poisoning? Using electric tools and machinery! At LiftOne, we offer a wide range of electric equipment that performs just as well as traditional IC equipment. In addition to reducing risk of CO poisoning to zero, electric forklifts offer lower operating costs and quieter operation, making them the ideal choice for indoor work.
Other Ways to Avoid Poisoning
If a gasoline-powered forklift is your only option, there are a few ways to reduce the risk of CO poisoning. Keep in mind however, only electric equipment is capable of completely eliminating CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide is odor-less, color-less, and doesn’t irritate the body in an obvious way before having dangerous and potentially lethal effects.
Take the following safety precautions if you decide to operate gas powered equipment inside:
- Educate those on the worksite to recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, nausea, weakness, dizziness, visual disturbances, changes in personality, and loss of consciousness. (These symptoms and signs can occur within minutes of usage.)
- Use personal CO monitors in areas where there’s a risk of CO overexposure.
- Hold a workplace survey to identify potential sources of CO.
- Stay away from the work area until the tool has been deactivated and measured CO concentrations are below accepted guidelines and standards.
Interested in more information regarding CO poisoning and how to prevent it? Stop by any of our locations to speak with our knowledgeable sales team.